The Sound of Silence – Filming Disaster

The Spoony One | Jun 12 2009 | 

Remember when I said that my camera was old and might be showing its age at any moment? We might have just rocketed past that point.

I just spent all day recording the live footage for two reviews: Street Fighter 2010 and Terror TRAX, and the sound is completely unusable. It’s just gone. All you can hear is static, with my voice only barely audible, as if I were shouting through a snowstorm. It’s a complete waste, and I can’t use any of it.

Now, I’m not an idiot. The days of the old brain lapses of not turning on the lavalier pack or plugging in cables are well behind me. I do a sound check every time I set up the camera now just to make sure this sort of thing doesn’t happen, and I did it this time, too. But it still went wrong.

I’ll try to explain what happened. A while back, I recorded my vlog on “Drag Me To Hell” and noticed the same thing, that the sound was static despite the sound check. I did another check and found that, for some reason, the connection between my XLR microphone input and the camera had gotten fouled up, so I re-set the connections and cables and everything seemed to work properly again. But the same thing seems to have happened again today. At some point between my sound check and pressing the record button on the camera, the microphone connection went kaput. I simply had no reason to doubt that the sound was bad.

I’m not sure what to do now. I’d hate to write the camera off as a loss, but this is probably a sign that I need to start shopping around for a new one sooner rather than later. I suppose the best thing to do is to just re-record the reviews, but I don’t think I can use my high-quality microphone from now on, considering that the XLR input is acting tetchy. I’m going to be stuck using the onboard camera mic, and it’s going to sound like crap.

At any rate, I’m too tired and pissed off to try recording it all over again today. I’m really sorry about all this, but you’ll probably have to wait a little longer before I can get you the updates I promised. In light of this, I’ll start working on Ripper and SWAT 4 until I can figure out a way to reliably use my camera.

Edit: It’s definitely got something to do with the camera’s “accessory shoe.” Both the XLR accessory and the shotgun mic had a ton of interference. I played around with them both for a while when suddenly…it works again. That actually makes me more nervous about the whole thing than having it reliably fail. Don’t know what’s causing it.